Connect with locals and fellow Japanese food and drink lovers with interactive live online experiences and virtual tours. Keep the foodie travel spirit alive with your family or friends, and meet new people along the way.
Here are the best ways to experience Japan’s incredible food and drink from the comfort of your own home.
Virtual Japanese Sake and Izakaya Drinking Culture Experience
Discover Japan’s unique izakaya (Japanese-style pub) and drinking culture on this virtual experience. From sake to beer, whisky and more, you’ll get deep insights into Japanese alcoholic drinks.
Connect with Japanese locals on this fun, fascinating and boozy (if you like!) adventure.
- Explore Japanese alcoholic drinks and food its paired with at izakayas
- Learn about different varieties and tastes of sake
- Discover how sake is deeply rooted in Japanese culture for over 2,000 years and why it’s more than just a drink
- Find out where you can get Japanese alcoholic drinks at home or when visiting Japan
- Get the real feeling by bringing some Japanese sake or Japanese drinks to the event
Tokyo Online: Virtual Experience in Shibuya and Shinjuku with a Local Expert
Explore two of Tokyo’s most exciting and famous food and drink destinations on this virtual tour. Get to know these iconic places and ask questions throughout the experience.
Connect with food-loving Tokyo locals and people from around the world.
- Enjoy an interactive tour of Shibuya and Shinjuku through stories, images and more
- Learn about Ramen and Yakitori and receive restaurant recommendations
- Get insider knowledge and hear about Japanese culture and daily life.
- Receive Tokyo and Japan travel tips for first-time visitors and people who have been before
- Includes a resources guide with information and links about what you learned on the tour
Cocktail Connections: Online Happy Hour in Japan
Discover how to make classic Japanese cocktails and more on this fun ‘happy hour’ experience. Learn about Japan’s drink culture and share stories together.
Connect over drinks with a local hospitality expert and people throughout the world.
- Create two mouth-watering Japanese cocktails and learn some bar basics
- Find out how Japan’s alcoholic and non-alcoholic drinks have influenced the world
- Ask your host anything about Japanese food and drinks, culture and travel
- What to bring: glasses, spoon, cocktail shaker (optional) and a selection of drinks
- Enjoy a fun and informal session about Japan’s drinking culture
Tokyo Online: Green Teatime in Japan
Experience the magic of Japan’s green tea culture and its special place in Japanese culture on this virtual tour. Find out how to source and brew the best seasonal tea during this interactive session.
Relax over green tea and make friends with people across the globe.
- Discover how to brew the perfect cup of Japanese green tea and food and drink its paired with
- Learn about the health benefits of Japanese tea and its secret relationship with nori (seaweed)
- Ask questions about Japanese tea and get Tokyo and Japan travel tips
- What to bring: green tea, teacup and teapot and hot water
- Enjoy a fun virtual tour with a Japanese tea expert based in Tokyo
If you’re looking for more interactive experiences, check out my selection of the best online Japanese cooking classes, which includes live classes with Japanese instructors.