Hiroshima’s unique geography – surrounded by the sea and mountains – and history, has shaped its cuisine. With delicious local specialities loved throughout Japan, Hiroshima is the perfect place for a food tour.
How about fat and juicy oysters, fish broth ramen or Hiroshima-style okonomiyaki (savoury pancake) with noodles? Or why not take a sake tasting tour at one of Hiroshima’s 50 sake breweries?
To save you time, I’ve hand-picked some tasty Hiroshima food and drink experiences.
Here are Hiroshima’s four best food and sake tasting and brewery tours!
Best Hiroshima Food Tours
Hiroshima Bar Hopping Food Tour
Discover Hiroshima’s food and drink scene as you hop from izakaya (Japanese-style pub) to bar. Explore the backstreets of Hiroshima’s nightlife district with a local guide.
Meet fun and friendly locals and travellers on a highly-rated Hiroshima night food tour.
- Enjoy Hiroshima at night like a local
- Eat Hiroshima’s famous soul food okonomiyaki (savoury pancake with noodles)
- Visit restaurants and bars with the help of your guide and bar hopping map
- Try Hiroshima sake paired with foods like oysters, yakitori (chicken skewers) and fried fish
- Includes okonomiyaki, one drink, photos and walking tour
- Location: Nagarekawa, Hiroshima
- Duration and start time: 3 hours, 7 pm
Best of Hiroshima Food Tour
Enjoy the best of Hiroshima’s cuisine and restaurants on this delicious food tour. Savour tasty local favourites and Japanese cuisine while learning about cities food, people and history.
Experience the best of Hiroshima’s food culture on this gourmet lover tour.
- Try local specialities like Hiroshima’s classic okonomiyaki (savoury pancake with noodles)
- Savour spicy tsukemen (dipping ramen) a sure favourite with ramen fans
- Learn about Hiroshima’s friendly locals and unique spirit
- Visit an exciting old meets new shop for dessert
- Browse food stalls and shops for snacks and souvenirs
- Includes four food stops (8-10 dishes), two drinks, dessert, shopping time and walking tour
- Location: Hiroshima
- Duration and start time: 3 hours, 4.30 pm
Hiroshima Night Food Tour and Fun with Locals
Eat and drink like a local as you discover Hiroshima’s cuisine and bar culture. Experience the friendly vibe of Japan’s tachinomiya (standing bars) where you’ll meet outgoing locals.
Enjoy food, fun and frolics on this Hiroshima evening food tour.
- Visit three tachinomiya with different food, drink and character
- Savour fresh seafood, tempura (battered and deep-fried seafood and vegetables), slow-cooked cuisine, grilled and more
- Enjoy Hiroshima’s evening food and entertainment like a local
- Includes dinner with samples from three restaurants, three drinks and walking tour
- Location: Hiroshima
- Duration and start time: 3 hours, 6.30 pm
Best Hiroshima Sake Tasting and Brewery Tours
Sake Brewery, Tasting and Food Pairing Tour Hiroshima
Explore the sake town of Saijo with a local expert guide for a sake brewery, tasting and food pairing tour. Discover different types of sake and find out what foods go best with each type.
Enjoy a comprehensive sake lovers tour and lunch to understand more about sake and Japanese culture.
- Visit seven sake breweries in Saijo and marvel at their beautiful buildings
- Sake tasting and compare flavours from each brewery
- Learn the sake making and production process
- Enjoy a sake and food pairing workshop which includes lunch
- Includes sake brewery and tasting tour, lunch, sake food and pairing workshop and walking tour
- Location: Saijo (35 minutes by JR train from Hiroshima)
- Duration and start time: 3 hours, 10 am