Top of the list for many visitors to Japan is seeing a Geisha or Maiko dinner show in Kyoto. Highly skilled, elegant and wearing the most beautiful traditional dress; it’s no surprise Japan’s most famous entertainers are in demand.
In time gone by, only the wealthy and influential were entertained by Geisha and Maiko at Kyoto’s ocha-ya (teahouses). These days it’s easier and more accessible to enjoy ‘teahouse play’ consisting of song, dance and games.
We’ve hand-selected the best Geisha, and Maiko dinner shows for all budgets. From Maiko tea ceremonies to exclusive private Geisha and Maiko dinner parties, there’s a beautiful experience for everyone.
- Popular: Maiko Evening Dinner Shows with Kaiseki, Kyoto Cuisine & Unlimited Drinks
- Private: Exclusive Geisha & Maiko Teahouse Parties with Kaiseki
- Best Value: Maiko Shows with Dinner, Lunch or Tea Ceremony
Looking for more food and drink experiences? We’ve hand-selected the best Kyoto food tours to save you time to enjoy your trip.
Popular: Maiko Evening Dinner Shows with Kaiseki, Kyoto Cuisine
If you’re coming all this way, you may as well treat yourself to an unforgettable evening of maiko entertainment in Gion – Kyoto’s famous geisha district. And for added authenticity points, enjoy kaiseki Kyoto’s haute-cuisine style multi-course dinner and delicious local cuisine.
Private Kyoto Dinner with a Geisha
Embark on an unforgettable Kyoto geisha dinner show and tour of the geisha district. Get a rare insight into one of Japan’s most unique cultures and traditions.
A complete three-in-one Kyoto geisha experience of kaiseki, a geisha or maiko performance, and a Gion walking tour
- Banquet on a traditional and seasonal kaiseki multi-course meal
- Enjoy an elegant geisha or maiko music and dance performance
- Learn about geisha and maiko as you hear their stories and exchange conversation
- Immerse yourself in Kyoto’s geisha and maiko culture with a professional guide
- Explore Gion, Kyoto’s historic geisha district, on a walking tour
- Choose between ‘Option 3: Full Kaiseki course’ or ‘Option 4: Half Kaiseki course’
- Includes: A private kaiseki multi-course dinner, maiko dance performance and conversation, guided tour of Gion (Kyoto’s geisha district) and an English-speaking guide
- Location: Gion
- Duration and start time: 3 hours, 5pm
Private Dinner with a Maiko in Kyoto
Experience a private maiko dinner show at a fine restaurant in Kyoto. And delight in a special evening of top-quality food and wonderful entertainment.
Take a memorable journey through traditional geisha and maiko culture.
- Enjoy dinner with a maiko in a private room of an authentic Japanese restaurant
- Savour a luxurious kaiseki multi-course dinner with all-inclusive drinks
- Be entertained by a charming maiko dance show
- Play geisha and maiko games and take photos with the maiko
- Treat yourself to a luxurious Kyoto maiko experience
- Includes: A private kaiseki multi-course dinner and all-inclusive drinks (alcoholic and non-alcoholic) with a maiko at a Kyoto restaurant, a maiko dance performance and an English-speaking guide
- Location: Maruyamacho 0.6 miles (1.1km) from Gion-Shijo Station
- Duration and start time: 2 hours, 6pm
Maiko Performance with Traditional Kyoto-Style Banquet in Gion
Prepare to be enchanted like never before at this maiko performance at a traditional Japanese restaurant in Gion – Kyoto’s famous geisha district.
- Enjoy an elegant dance performance by two graceful maiko using fans
- Feast on a delicious banquet meal which includes sashimi, beef, ice cream and unlimited drinks
- Speak to the maiko with an English-speaking translator
- Play traditional party games – and if you’re lucky you’ll win a prize
- Take photos with the maiko and throughout the evening
- Available: Tue, Thu, Sat & Sun
- Duration: 2 hours
Maiko Performance & Banquet in Gion >>
Private: Exclusive Geisha & Maiko Teahouse Parties with Kaiseki
Treat yourself to a once-in-a-lifetime luxury geisha and maiko experience. Enjoy ochaya-asobi (teahouse play) in an authentic Kyoto establishment usually reserved for members only.
Private geisha and maiko shows cost from $2,500 for two people.
Private Geisha and Maiko Dinner and Show at a Kyoto Teahouse
Marvel in a once-in-a-lifetime private geisha and maiko dinner show at a traditional Kyoto teahouse. A magical evening of Japanese haute cuisine and extraordinary entertainment.
Discover the secret world of geisha and maiko as an insider on an unforgettable evening.
- Experience geisha and maiko at Kyoto ochaya – a traditional teahouse where geisha entertain guests – for a truly privileged experience
- Savour an extravagant Kyoto-style kaiseki banquet dinner with all-inclusive drinks
- Wonder at and be enchanted by a private live geisha music and maiko dance show
- Play drinking games and take photos with the geisha and maiko in an intimate setting
- Uncover Kyoto’s geisha district on an informative walking tour
- Select ‘Option 1: Private Tea House’ to book this experience
- Includes: A private evening with a geisha and maiko and a performance in a teahouse in Kyoto, a full-course kaiseki dinner and drinks (alcoholic and non-alcoholic), a guided geisha district tour and an English-speaking guide
- Location: Gion
- Duration and time: 3 hours, 5pm
Best Value: Maiko Shows with Dinner, Lunch or Tea Ceremony
To experience the wonderful world of the Geisha, you don’t have to break the bank. And it’s just as well, as no trip to Kyoto is complete without attending a dinner show or tea ceremony with Japan’s most revered entertainers.
Best value maiko shows cost around US$175 to US$275 for two people.
Maiko Dance Show, Dinner and Transport
Experience the real Kyoto with an evening of Maiko entertainment and dinner. Get whisked away for a memorable evening in Japan’s enchanted city.
All taxi transfers included for a hassle-free night out in Kyoto.
- Enjoy a Maiko dance performance and play party games
- Take photos of you with the lovely Maiko
- Tempura and seasonal dishes dinner
- Includes hotel pick-up and drop-off
- English speaking guide
- Duration: 2-3 hours (including transport)
Maiko Tea Ceremony and Show in Gion
Enjoy a Japanese tea ceremony and show by an elegant Maiko. Combine two of Japan’s most famous attractions in the heart of Kyoto’s Geisha district.
Up to 72% OFF group discounts!
- Watch a Maiko perform a traditional Japanese tea ceremony
- Enjoy a Maiko nihon buyo (dance and pantomime) show
- Chat to the Maiko and take photos with her
- Sip matcha (green tea) and eat wagashi (sweets)
- Located in a traditional tea house in Gion
- Duration: 1 hour
Traditional Maiko Performance in Kyoto
Enjoy an afternoon of traditional Kyoto entertainment; a Maiko dance show and tea ceremony. Learn about these time-honoured Japanese customs from your host.
Choose from either a bento box meal or matcha (green tea) and wagashi (sweets).
- Enjoy a Maiko nihon buyo performance (dance and pantomime)
- Watch the Maiko perform a tea ceremony (green tea and sweets option only)
- Meet and talk to Maiko
- Photo opportunity with Maiko
- Lunchtime and afternoon slots available
- Duration: 1.5 hours