Tokyo is a perfect place to experience sake and the culture of Japan’s iconic drink. From all-you-can-drink, brewery tours and tasting sessions, there’s something ‘sake’ to suit all tastes.
We’ve hand-selected the best tours with English-speaking guides so you can focus on enjoying the sake.
1. Sake and Food Pairing with a Sake Sommelier
A unique experience to enjoy sake in the same way it’s savoured in Japan.
- Learn about sake in a small group with a sake sommelier
- Taste five different types of sake paired with snacks
- Open your mind and change your image of sake
- Create your own sake-tasting chart
- Meet Tokyo sake lovers and get some local tips
2. Sake Tasting with Lesson from a Sake Sommelier
Explore the world of sake with a tasting session with a sake sommelier in Tokyo. As well as sampling types of sake, complimentary snacks will be served.
After this tour, you’ll feel confident about ordering sake to suit your taste.
- Enjoy classic types of sake with a fun and friendly guide at a Tokyo sake bar
- Discover how to read and understand a sake bottle label
- Find out the best food to pair with different sake
- Learn which style is best for cold, room and warm temperatures
- Includes 6-7 different sake, snacks, a seminar from a sake sommelier and a guide to take home
- Location: Shinjuku
- Duration and start time: 1.5 hours, 4pm
3. Sake Tasting Experience Tokyo
Discover the wonderful world of sake at three distinct and unique Tokyo bars. Sample different sake paired with classic appetisers.
Drink sake like a local with a local sake-loving and guide!
- Taste six different types of sake brews from around Japan
- Visit three diverse bars, like an izakaya (Japanese-style pub) and tachinomiya (standing bars)
- Learn the difference between sake styles like Honjozo-shu and Daiginjo-shu and different serving temperatures
- Let your host educate you about sake culture while you drink and eat tasty snacks
- Includes six sake samples, visiting three bars with snacks, private and personalised sake walking tour and hotel meet-up (on request)
- Location: Shinjuku
- Duration and time: 3 hours, flexible start time
4. Sake Tasting Course at a Local Tokyo Izakaya
Enjoy fine sake at a local izakaya (Japanese-style pub) known by the locals as the ‘sacred place for sake lovers’. Taste different kinds of sake with commentary from a professional sake master.
Experience the true essence of sake at a members-only izakaya in Tokyo.
- Discover the harmony and spirit of Japanese sake
- Taste 10 fine and rare sake from a collection of 4,000 bottles
- Savour otsumami (drinking snacks) paired with your sake
- Learn about sake from a professional sake master
- Includes 10 sake tastings, paired drinking snacks and commentary from a sake master
- Location: Shinjuku
- Duration and start time: 1.5 hours, 1 pm or 5 pm
Sake Tasting Course Tokyo >>
5. Sake Brewery Tour Tokyo: Discover Japan’s Hidden World
- Tour the historic brewery and have your photo taken at the symbolic Japanese cedar ball
- Learn how sake is produced and its cultural significance in Japan
- Visit the brewery’s sake museum, which displays pictures, bottles, labels and recipes
- Taste different kinds of sake, including the award-winning ‘Tama Jiman’
- English and French-speaking guide
6. Sake Brewery, Tasting and Tofu Kaiseki Lunch
A certified sake sommelier will guide you throughout your trip.
- Visit a sake brewery in Okutama, a mountainous region west of Tokyo
- Enjoy a premium tofu kaiseki (multi-course) lunch sat overlooking a river
- Tour the sake brewery with an English-speaking guide
- Sake tasting session at minimal prices fresh out of the brewery
7. Sake All You Can Drink
Sake tasting sessions in popular and exclusive Tokyo Sake bars.
- Sake all-you-can-drink – 100 different types for up to six hours
- Bring your own food, find your perfect brew and make new friends
- Four different Tokyo locations for your convenience – Ikebukuro, Shibuya, Shinjuku and Ueno
- Sake all-you-can-drink – plus extra souvenir and bottle of sake options
Loved the place. Such an awesome experience!! Great value!!! – Klook customer
Sake Tasting and Brewery Tours in Tokyo
Tokyo is the world’s restaurant capital and has a thriving bar culture. Japan’s capital consumes the highest quality and volume of sake.
The sake experience is more than tasting and brewery tours. Through sake, you’ll go deeper into Japanese history and culture. In the Shinto religion, drinking sake brings people closer to the Gods.
Japan’s capital is often visitors’ first stop in the country. A sake-tasting or brewery tour is a great way to discover Japanese culture.
Sake tasting is one of the most popular food and drinks tours in Tokyo.