Tokyo is the number one food destination in the world. What better place to learn how to cook Japanese dishes than a Tokyo cooking class?
For a modest upfront cost, you’ll discover how to make traditional Japanese cuisine. And that’s something more you can take away than a belly full of ramen and sushi.
Here are my top-rated Japanese cooking experiences in Tokyo.
Tokyo Sushi-Making Class with a Sushi Master
Discover how to make sushi in Tokyo with a sushi chef with 40 years of experience. Relish in taking a class in the relaxed ambience of a sushi restaurant.
Don’t miss this authentic sushi cooking class with a warm, friendly, generous sushi master and his wife.
- Learn step-by-step, from grating wasabi, how to cut fish and making nigiri (hand-pressed) and maki (rolled) sushi
- Enjoy a comprehensive sushi class delivered in a fun manner, with additional written instructions
- Cook tamagoyaki, a multi-layered Japanese omelette
- Savour the sushi you’ve made with miso soup, dessert and green tea
- Caters for vegetarian, vegan and other dietary restrictions
- Includes: A full Tokyo sushi cooking class, eating the sushi you created, additional dishes, 1 drink and a certificate
- Location: Nakameguro
- Duration and start time: 11am, 2.5 hours
Discover more ways to make Japan’s most iconic dish with my best Tokyo sushi-making classes.
Asakusa Classic Ramen & Crispy Gyoza
Learn how to make a delicious bowl of ramen and a side dish of gyoza (dumplings) in this highly-rated Tokyo cooking class. After you’ve created it, you get to eat it.
Known as the birthplace of traditional Tokyo ramen, you couldn’t pick more of an ideal location than this Asakusa cooking school.
- Cook ramen and its class side dish, gyoza from scratch
- Discover how to make ramen broth like a local
- Learn how to fry crispy gyoza to perfection
- Serve your bowl of ramen like a master
- Enjoy eating the meal you’ve created with an optional glass of sake
- Includes ramen and gyoza cooking class and eating your meal
- Location: Asakusa
- Duration and start time: 2.5 hours, 11 am or 4 pm
Tokyo Wagyu Beef & Kaiseki Cooking Class
Learn how to make two of Japan’s finest foods, Wagyu Beef and multi-course Kaiseki. An ideal choice if you want to discover the wonderful world of Washoku (Japanese cuisine).
Enjoy this hands-on experience where you’ll make everything from start to finish.
- Make a multi-course Kaiseki meal from appetiser to dessert
- Prepare and cook a prime Wagyu beef steak
- Introduction to Japanese cuisine
- Complimentary welcome tea
- Discover Japanese luxury food
- Includes cooking class, recipes, welcome tea and lunch you prepared
- Location: Shinjuku
- Duration and start time: 3 hours, 9.30am
Japanese Cooking Class and Walking Tour with a Local Chef
Enjoy cooking home-style Japanese food with a friendly teacher in the comfort of his Tokyo home. Discover authentic dishes and how the Japanese have mixed and matched them to create delicious new fusion recipes.
Join Mr Sato-san for an authentic Japanese cooking and cultural experience.
- Highly regarded, fun and friendly teacher with excellent reviews
- Cook traditional, Western-influenced, spicy, exotic and junk home-style Japanese cuisine
- Choose from three different menus, depending on the day you attend
- Morning and evening classes are available at a convenient location in Shinjuku
- Includes an introduction to Japanese home-style dishes, a cooking class and a meal
- Location: Shinjuku
- Duration and start time: 2.5 hours, 10.30 am or 6 pm
Japanese Cooking Class and Local Walking Tour in Tokyo
Enjoy a morning cooking class with Mr Sato-san and join him for a walking tour around his local Tokyo neighbourhood. He’ll show you places in Shinjuku you will not find in the guidebooks and take you to a special place by train.
Get off the beaten track with a friendly local Tokyo chef.
- Choose a day with Japanese food you’d like to make from home-cooked, heartier and sushi recipes
- Dishes include teishoku (set meal), donburi (rice bowl), ramen, Japanese-style curry rice, temakizushi (hand-rolled sushi), chirashizushi (scattered sushi) & more
- Discover hidden places in Tokyo with your fun host
- Get two for the price of one with this excellent experience
- Includes cooking class, barley tea, the meal you prepared and a local walking tour
- Location: Shinjuku
- Duration and start time: 5 hours, 10.30 am
Vegan Ramen and Gyoza Cooking Class Tokyo
Learn how to make vegan ramen and gyoza in Tokyo so you can cook it at home. Discover healthy and authentic Japanese food, which is kind to the planet too.
Have fun cooking and eating ramen with an experienced chef.
- Make vegan ramen and gyoza using traditional Japanese vegetables
- Learn cooking techniques with a demonstration from your chef
- Enjoy eating your ramen and gyoza creation for lunch
- Family-friendly Tokyo cooking class with amenities for children
- Free accommodation pick-up is available
- Includes making vegan ramen and gyoza, cooking demonstration, lunch, and free pick-up
- Location: Edogawa City
- Duration and start time: 2 hours, 11 am (cooking class starts)
Tokyo Fish Market Insider Tour and Sushi Workshop
Become a Sushi master at this Sushi making workshop at Tokyo’s Tsukiji Fish Market. Learn from expert Japanese sushi chefs and Tsukiji Market insiders.
Immerse yourself in Japanese cuisine and culture on this highly regarded tour.
- Discover the whole Sushi making process at this masterclass
- Learn how to choose fresh ingredients at the world’s largest seafood market
- Tour Tsukiji’s Fish Market and Outer Market
- Enjoy an all you can eat Sushi lunch
- Optional on the day: All-you-can-drink sake
- Duration: 3 hours
Currently not available
Taking a Tokyo cooking class is a fun and memorable way to learn about Washoku and Japanese culture. And best of all, you get to make the lovely dishes when you get home. Discover more sushi classes in Tokyo for sushi lovers looking to craft their skills.
To better understand the gourmet culture, take a food tour in Tokyo and sample delicious local and Japanese dishes. And for Japan’s most famous soul food, Tokyo ramen tours will take you to hidden spots you’re unlikely to find otherwise.
If you like a tipple (or two or more), check out these Tokyo Sake tasting and brewery tours. From all-you-can-drink to brewery tours outside the city, there’s something sake for everyone.
How about doing something completely different while you’re in Tokyo? The Robot Restaurant and Cabaret Show is a unique must-see experience you only get in Japan.
Image: Thomas Marban