Tokyo is the number one food destination in the world. What better place for you to learn how to cook Japanese dishes than a Tokyo cooking class?
For a modest upfront cost, you’ll discover how to make traditional Japanese cuisine. And that’s something more you can take away than a belly full of ramen and sushi.
Here are four top-rated Japanese cooking experiences in Tokyo.
Asakusa Classic Ramen & Crispy Gyoza
Learn how to make a delicious bowl of ramen and side dish of gyoza (dumplings) on this highly-rated Tokyo cooking class. After you’ve created it, you get to eat it.
Known as the birthplace of traditional Tokyo ramen, you couldn’t pick more of an ideal location than this Asakusa cooking school.
- Cook ramen and it’s class side dish gyoza from scratch
- Discover how to make ramen broth like a local
- Learn how to fry crispy gyoza to perfection
- Serve your bowl of ramen like a master
- Enjoy eating the meal you’ve created with an optional glass of sake
- Includes ramen and gyoza cooking class, and eating your meal
- Location: Asakusa
- Duration and start time: 2.5 hours, 11 am or 4 pm
Tasty Home-Style Japanese Food Fusion Cooking Class
Enjoy cooking home-style Japanese food with a friendly teacher in the comfort of his Tokyo home. Discover fusion style dishes and how the Japanese have mixed and matched to create delicious new recipes.
Join Mr Sato-san for an authentic Japanese cooking and cultural experience.
- Highly regarded, fun and friendly teacher with excellent reviews
- Cook traditional, Western-influenced, spicy, exotic and junk home-style Japanese cuisine
- Choose from three different menus, depending on the day you attend
- Morning and evening classes available at a convenient location in Shinjuku
- Includes an introduction to Japanese home-style dishes, cooking class and meal
- Location: Shinjuku
- Duration and start time: 2.5 hours, 10.30 am or 6 pm
Tasty Home-Style Japanese Fusion Food and Guided Walking Tour in Local Neighbourhood
Extend your morning cooking class with Mr Sato-san and join him for a walking tour around his local Tokyo neighbourhood. He’ll show you places in Shinjuku you will not find in the guide books, and take you to a special place by train.
Get off the beaten track with a fun and friendly Tokyo local.
Includes an introduction to Japanese home-style dishes, cooking class, meal and local walking tour
Duration and start time: 5 hours, 10.30 am
Vegan Ramen and Gyoza Cooking Class Tokyo
Learn how to make vegan ramen and gyoza in Tokyo, so you’ll be able to cook it at home. Discover healthy and authentic Japanese food which is kind to the planet too.
Have fun cooking and eating ramen with an experienced chef.
- Make vegan ramen and gyoza using traditional Japanese vegetables
- Learn cooking techniques with a demonstration from your chef
- Enjoy eating your ramen and gyoza creation for lunch
- Family-friendly Tokyo cooking class with amenities for children
- Free accommodation pick-up available
- Includes making vegan ramen and gyoza, cooking demonstration, lunch, and free pick-up
- Location: Edogawa City
- Duration and start time: 2 hours, 11 am (cooking class starts)
Enjoy Cooking Wagyu Beef & Kaiseki
At this class, you’ll learn how to make two of Japan’s finest foods Wagyu Beef and multi-course Kaiseki. An ideal choice if you want to discover the wonderful world of Washoku (Japanese cuisine).
Enjoy this hands-on experience where you’ll make everything from start to finish.
- Make a multi-course Kaiseki meal from appetiser to dessert
- Prepare and cook a prime Wagyu Beef steak
- Introduction to Japanese cuisine
- Complimentary welcome tea
- Discover Japanese luxury food
- Duration: 3 hours
Tokyo Fish Market Insider Tour and Sushi Workshop
Become a Sushi master at this Sushi making workshop at Tokyo’s Tsukiji Fish Market. Learn from expert Japanese sushi chefs and Tsukiji Market insiders.
Immerse yourself in Japanese cuisine and culture on this highly regarded tour.
- Discover the whole Sushi making process at this masterclass
- Learn how to choose fresh ingredients at the world’s largest seafood market
- Tour Tsukiji’s Fish Market and Outer Market
- Enjoy an all you can eat Sushi lunch
- Optional on the day: All you can drink Sake
- Duration: 3 hours
Taking a Tokyo cooking class is a fun and memorable way to learn about Washoku and Japanese culture. And best of all you get to make the lovely dishes when you get home.
If you’re fond of a tipple (or two or more) check out these Tokyo Sake tasting and brewery tours. From all-you-can-drink to brewery tours outside the city, there’s something Sake for everyone.
How about doing something completely different while you’re in Tokyo? The Robot Restaurant and Cabaret Show is a unique must-see experience that only get in Japan.
Image: Thomas Marban