Takoyaki (octopus balls) is one of Japan’s most famous soul foods, and you’ll see it everywhere in its home city Osaka. Fortunately, you can make takoyaki at home with a range of equipment from stove-cooked pans to multipurpose grills and dedicated takoyaki makers.
Cooking delicious takoyaki at home just got easier. Here are my recommendations for the top five takoyaki pans.
Iwatani Non-Stick Takoyaki Grill Pan CB-P-TAF
The Iwatani Takoyaki Pan CB-P-TAF is an excellent quality piece of cookware which makes tasty takoyaki from a Japanese brand you can trust. Its non-stick coating makes it easy to cook and prevents food from sticking to the pan.
Designed at the home of takoyaki Osaka, for stove-top cooking, it’s the best takoyaki pan you can buy.
- Makes 16 delicious regular-sized 1.6″/40mm takoyaki balls
- Cooks consistent and stores heat well with its thick and solid material
- Easy-to-make with dividing line grooves between each chamber so that you can toss the batter into balls like a pro
- Handy outside lip to prevent spillage
- Ideal for any regular and table-top electric and gas stove
- Fits perfectly to table-top Iwatani butane gas stoves so that you can have Japanese-style communal takoyaki parties
- Convenient two handles which makes it easy to move around
- Material: Non-stick coated upper surface, aluminium alloy
- Dimensions: W 10.2″/260mm x D 8.2″/210mm x H 1.5″/39mm
- Weight: 1.6lb/730g
Iwatani Takoyaki Pan and Gas Stove Super Entako CB-ETK1
The Iwatani Takoyaki Pan and Gas Stove is a fantastic takoyaki maker which is dedicated to cooking like a takoyaki master. Designed especially for the job, you’ll be able to create perfect authentic takoyaki – crispy on the outside and soft on the inside – like from the street stalls in Japan. – crispy on the outside and soft on the insider.
Look no further than here for the best of the best takoyaki maker.
- Make 20 delicious and authentic regular-sized 1.6″/40mm takoyaki balls
- Made in Japan – high-quality takoyaki pan and gas stove
- Gas-powered quick and easy cooking
- Enjoy fun takoyaki parties with family and friends
- Specially-designed double line burners to promote even cooking
- Variable heat settings and safety system
- Requires standard butane gas stove cassettes (not supplied)
- Material: Steel, aluminium and ABS resin
- Dimensions: W 13.7″/348mm x D 9.1″/231mm x H 5.5″/139mm
- Weight: 4.9lb/2.2kg
Happy Sales Non-Stick Takokayki Pan
The Happy Sales Non-Stick Takoyaki Pan offers great-value to make classic-style takoyaki balls on a stove. Its non-stick coating makes it easy to cook and clean.
It’s a budget-friendly and reliable option for making takoyaki at home.
- Makes 20 tasty regular-sized 1.5″/38mm takoyaki balls
- Dividing line grooves between the takoyaki chambers make it easy to form balls
- A sturdy build which holds heat well and promotes evening cooking
- Easy to move around with two handles
- A lip around the outside protects against spillage
- Ideal for regular and table-top gas and electric stoves
- Dimensions: W 11.5″/290mm x D 8″/200mm
Health and Home Multifunction Grill with Takoyaki Maker
The Health and Home Multifunction Grill with Takoyaki Maker is an excellent value and versatile cooking machine for a range of foods. With a built-in thermostat and non-stick pans, it’s easy to make delicious food in no time.
Enjoy communal cooking with family and friends with this highly-rated takoyaki maker and multi-grill.
- Makes 24 delicious standard-sized takoyaki balls
- Non-stick easy to cook and clean grill plates
- Built-in thermostat for temperature control
- Three interchangeable grill plates: flat, 6-hole and takoyaki/cake
- Includes two wooden spatulas, two takoyaki/meatball pics and brush
- Electrical rating: 120V/800W
- Dimensions: W 13.6″/345mm x D 9″/230mm x H 2.8″/7mm
- Weight: 6.2lb/2.8kg
Zojirushi Gourmet Sizzler® Electric Griddle EA-BDC10 + Takoyaki Grill Plate EA-YBC01
Zojirushi’s EA-BDC10 electric grill combined with the Takoyaki plate EA-YBC01 makes exceptional takoyaki. Takoyaki parties will never be the same with this high-quality takoyaki maker designed by Japan’s Osaka-based Zojirushi.
Note: The takoyaki grill plate cannot be used on its own. Both products sold separately are required.
Zojirushi Gourmet Sizzler® Electric Griddle EA-BDC10
The Zojirushi Gourmet Sizzler® Electric Griddle EA-BDC10 is a versatile hot plate cooker which is perfect for Japanese-food lovers. Easy-to-use and made with top-quality materials throughout, you’ll wonder why you never got one before.
The Gourmet Sizzler’s a fun way to cook and perfect for parties and gatherings with family and friends.
- Grill delicious Japanese favourites like teppanyaki (hot plate grill), okonomiyaki (Japanese-style pancakes), yakiniku (Japanese BBQ) and yakisoba (stir-fried noodles)
- Cook grilled meats, pasta, crepes, pancakes, cooked breakfasts, Korean BBQ and more
- Titanium and ceramic enhanced triple-layer non-stick coating
- Handy lid for quick cooking and steaming
- Variable temperature settings from 176°F/80°C to 400°F/205°C
- Operating instructions and recipes (in English, French and Japanese)
- Electrical rating: 120V/1,300W (ideal for the US and Canada)
- Power cord length: 6.6ft / 2m
- Cooking surface area: W 14.2″/360mm x D 13.2″/335mm
- Dimensions: W 19.3″/490mm x D 15.3″/390mm x H 5.5″/140mm
- Weight: 9lb/3.7kg
Zojirushi Takoyaki Grill Plate EA-YBC01
The Zojirushi Takoyaki Grill Plate EA-YBC01 makes 26 large takoyaki balls when used in conjunction with the Zojirushi Gourmet Sizzler® Electric Griddle EA-BDC10. Its large size makes it ideal for takoyaki parties and entertaining family and friends at home.
You’ll be cooking takoyaki like a professional with a top Japanese brand you can trust.
- Makes 26 tasty large takoyaki balls at a time
- Non-stick coated for easy cooking and cleaning
- Perfect for takoyaki parties and families
- Operating instructions and recipes (in English, French and Japanese)
- Recipes include takoyaki (octopus balls), petit gateau-style chocolate cakes, pancake balls, mini chocolate burger cakes
- Dimensions: W 15.9″/400mm x D 13.6″/345mm x H 1.9″/48mm
Note: The takoyaki grill plate cannot be used on its own. It must be used with the Zojirushi Gourmet Sizzler® Electric Griddle EA-BDC10 above
Travellers to Japan who want to explore takoyaki culture like a local should take a food tour in Osaka. As the birthplace of takoyaki, you’ll find loads of places to try the cities most-popular soul food, including Michelin, accredited street stalls.
If you’re looking for more inspiration about how to cook Japanese food at home, check out my recommendations for the best online Japanese cooking classes and courses. Or, if you’re looking for something more specific, try my recommended online sushi-making classes and courses.
For budding chefs who’d prefer to follow recipes from the experts, I’ve put together a list of my top ramen cookbooks. And if you’d prefer to learn how to make Japan’s most-famous food, check out my best sushi cookbooks.
There’s nothing like waking up to freshly made bread, and we can thank Japan for that! It’s easy to do with my recommendations for the best Japanese bread makers.
Food Tours Japan is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Programme. As an Amazon Associate, I earn a small fee from qualified purchases from links to Amazon from this article